Friday, June 10, 2011

Double the Sweetness (Pineapple Dream Cake & Strawberry Cheesecake)

Because I seem to be rolling out the posts today (hubby is at work, little man is in bed, so why not?), let's talk dessert!
I have not one, but TWO dessert recipes to share with you. A super simple one and one that requires a little more effort. (The effort makes it all the more worth it!)

The first one is for Pineapple Dream Cake. My sister and I made it together once for a dinner at our dad's and I've made it a few times over the years. Like I said, it's simple. Oh, and did I mention, it tastes sooo good?!

Ingredients
1 angel food cake (You could make it yourself, but since I told you this was simple, do what I do and go store bought!)
1 container Cool Whip
1 small package Jello Instant Pudding and Pie Filling Vanilla Flavor
1 can CRUSHED pineapple

Directions
Drain pineapple well and combine in a large bowl with Cool Whip and Jello mix.
Cut cake in half, horizontally. I've found it's easiest to leave the cake in its package when doing this. Because it has that plastic piece in the middle, it helps hold the cake in place while you're cutting.
After cutting the cake, remove the top layer and spread the pineapple mixture on the bottom layer. This way, when you put the top layer on and cut into it, you have cake, pineapple mixture, cake.
Return the top layer to cake and spread the remaining mixture on the entire outside of the cake. It's best to use a silicone spatula to help smooth this on evenly.
And voila! It can be served immediately or refrigerated for later usage.
I've also cut up strawberries and placed them on the outside of the cake, but they are optional.

NOW....

Here's the one that requires some effort. But it's so good! It's for a homemade strawberry cheesecake. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com. I've made it 3 or 4 times and it's always a hit.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
2-10 oz packages of frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
1 tbsp cornstarch
3-8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 eggs
1 tbsp water

Directions
Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9-in springform pan. Refrigerate for 30 min. (I must confess-before this recipe, I had no idea what a springform pan was! However, I found one at Walmart)
In a blender, combine the strawberries and corn starch. Cover and process until smooth.
Pour into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 2 minutes. You must also stir the sauce during the 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside 1/3 cup of the strawberry sauce. Cover and refrigerate the remainder for serving.
In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. (Make sure the cream cheese is softened, or you will have a ton of trouble getting it to mix well. I know from experience!)
Gradually beat in the milk. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Add the eggs and beat on low, just until combined.
Pour half this mixture over your crust. Then, drop half of your reserved strawberry sauce onto the cream cheese layer.
Carefully spoon the remainder of the cream cheese over the sauce. (If you're anything like me, this doesn't work so well. All mine kind of mixed together. But it still tasted awesome!)
Drop the remaining strawberry sauce on top of this. Then, with a butter knife, cut through the top layer to swirl the strawberry sauce.
Bake at 300 for 45-50 min. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, then cool for another hour. Refrigerate overnight.
When you're ready to serve, use the tbsp of water to thin the strawberry sauce. Spoon it over the cheesecake.
Side Note: Every time I've made this, it comes out cracked. It's set, but for some reason, it never comes out smooth on top. However, it doesn't affect the final product. So if it happens to you, no worries! If it doesn't happen to you, then tell me what I'm doing wrong! ;)

1 comment: