Friday, June 10, 2011

Chicken Pasta Salad

I make this a lot and have gotten quite a few requests for it. It's filling, easy to make, and can serve quite a few on its own. It can also be easily doubled.
I always make a crusty French bread to serve with it. (I usually just get the kind from the deli you heat up or the Pillsbury brand.)
I've also served this with fruit, cheese, and crackers beforehand.

Ingredients:
1 package boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins
1 box bowtie noodles (or regular rotini or garden rotini. I also received a suggestion from Beth C., who thought this recipe would be good with tortellini. I haven't tried it yet.)
1 bottle zesty Italian dressing
1 bottle garlic and herb 30 min marinade (either Lowry's brand or the store brand)
1 cucumber
1 tomato (or about 1/2 package of grape tomatoes)
1 green pepper (optional. Ive made it with the green pepper, but don't usually, just because my husband and son don't eat them)
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Marinade in garlic and herb sauce for at least 30 min. Longer for fuller flavor. I always put mine in a big Ziploc baggie and toss in the fridge.
Grill or pan cook chicken. I've done both and liked it both ways. If you pan cook it, you have to add water in the pan to keep the chicken from drying out too fast. I just do a tbsp at a time when it looks dry.
While the chicken is cooking, chop your vegetables and set them aside in a large bowl. I cut my cucumbers into rounds and then each round into 1/4 pieces. On the tomato, I do a rough chop. Or if I'm using the grape tomatoes, little slices.
When the chicken is cooked, set it aside and begin the water for your noodles. Cook according to package.
Chop the chicken and put it in the same bowl as the veggies.
Once the noodles have cooked, rinse them under cold water. You don't want to add the scalding noodles to the chicken and veggies.
Once the noodles have cooled, add them to the bowl with the chicken and veggies.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Add zesty Italian dressing. I use at least 3/4 if not the whole bottle. But you can adjust to taste. Mix everything well and serve. 
This can be served immediately, while it's still warm, or cold. It's also good the next day.
Enjoy! :)

1 comment: